The Abingdon Baptist community dates from 1650, and in 1652 they acquired the present church site. It was initially used as a burial ground, and it was not until 1700 that a chapel or meeting house could legally be built. The first chapel was a little further to the east than the present building, and its entrance was probably on the west side, along a narrow path from the street.
That chapel was pulled down in 1841, when the present building replaced it at a cost of £2000. The new church had a capacity of eight hundred worshippers and provision for two hundred more in the vestry. The architect was John Davies, who specialised in Nonconformist churches. The style was classical, in contrast to the Victorian Gothic that was becoming customary at the time for Anglican churches. The builder was a local Baptist, John Chesterman.
The roof was renewed in 1893 and the inside remodelled in 1971.
See Glossary for explanations of technical terms.
© AAAHS and contributors 2013