Christ Church, Northcourt
Christ Church opened in 1961 in the large Grade II listed barn at Northcourt Farm, the most important building on the site. In medieval times Northcourt was one of the farms belonging to Abingdon Abbey. It was under the charge of the Monk of Works and the produce of the land was dedicated to the upkeep of the great abbey church of St. Mary and the monastic buildings. The barn is believed to have been built in about 1270. The present roof consists of six bays with tie-beam trusses of a style popular in the mid-eighteenth century. The remaining old Stonesfield roofing slates from the barn now cover the church transept.
After the dissolution of the abbey the farm passed through various hands including the Bowyers of Radley Hall. It was bought by the Tatham family of Northcourt House in 1902 and leased to Mr James Candy in 1935. He bought the farm in 1945 and developed a dairy business. As the surrounding land was sold off for housing the barn became redundant. It was purchased by the Parish of Abingdon in 1960 for conversion to an Anglican church. Christ Church opened in 1961 and has one of the largest congregations in the Diocese of Oxford. The Church has now acquired the remaining farm buildings and converted the two remaining barns into a function room and cafe for church and community use.
See Glossary for explanations of technical terms.
© AAAHS and contributors 2013