The war memorial was erected in 1921 in High Street, and was paid for by public subscription. In 2010, the town council agreed a new design for the area.
In December 2010, work started which included stabilising the memorial which had developed a tilt over many years. This was done by injecting a resin type material into the soil which expands and solidifies to form a solid foundation. The work was successful and resulted in a reduction of the tilt and has given a firm foundation for the war memorial to sit on.
The redevelopment project also included the area around the memorial which saw the installation of new benches, waste bin, hanging basket poles, trees and the re-pavement of the surrounding area.
This area is now a pleasant focal point, and a place where one can sit and contemplate.